Friday 7 March 2014

The First Post

My dearest avid readers.

To you, the dear person who stumbles across this blog. My blog. One blog adding itself to the millions out there.

WELCOME! WILLKOMMEN! BIENVENUE! SHALOM! BENVENUTO! BIENVENIDO!

And especially for the Finnish and Albanian missionaries I feed... TERVETULOA! MIRE SE VINI!

Why have I started a blog I hear you ask? OK, I don't hear you. But, I am going to tell you anyway.

This is the story of a girl who feeds the missionaries from her ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The girl was rubbish (and I mean RUBBISH) at cooking before she volunteered to cook meals for the missionaries. 

She then started to get a bit more creative and tried new things. She spent hours trying to find and make up meals that could be prepared in certain time frames due to the constraints of the place where she was going to cook her meals. Which was not her kitchen. 

One day, after months of cooking meals on a weekly basis, one of the missionaries (Sister Ylisaari) came up with the idea that it would be fun to blog the meals she makes and to share the message the missionaries give at each dinner appointment. 

And so here we are. This is 'Munching with Missionaries'

I searched the internet and could not see any blogs that covered the areas I wanted to cover. Yes, most people can cook. Most people who feed missionaries have families and the ability to cook meals as 'adults' can. 

But then there was me. A single twentysomething who has spent most of my life eating the incredible meals my parents created. 

HOWEVER!

What if you are in the same boat I was in 6 months ago? I was like an early 90's blender. I wanted to do my bit to serve the missionaries but knew my abilities in the kitchen would let me down. Then there is the 'juicer'; Families or people out there who cook for the missionaries but need ideas of things they can cook quickly or that most missionaries like. Then on the dessert spoon there are people who just want ideas of nice meals. Whatever utensil you are on, I hope this blog helps in some way. 

Let's make this clear. I am no Jamie Oliver or Nigella Lawson. BUT, I am now able to cook actual meals (toast had started to become my staple diet) which is a MASSIVE achievement. This blog is just to show normal, everyday meals that are non fuss. Exactly what the world wants these days.

So what can you expect from this blog?

1. Meals that can be cooked in a specific amount of time, whether it be 20 minutes or two hours.
2. The lovely, uplifting message the missionaries share at the conclusion of the meal.
3. Photos of food. Always a winner.
4. Any messages that I feel like sharing with the missionaries at the meal.
5. NORMAL FOOD! I mean, seriously, who really ever makes the meals out of the fancy cookbook you received for Christmas?
6. Regular updates! 

Also, any suggestions for meals would be gratefully received. I am always up for trying something new. Send them my way! Click on one of the social media options on the top left, or comment with ideas!

Peace out, 

Sister Nicki x






1 comment:

  1. This is a cool idea!! :) I started feeding the missionaries at the same time as starting to make meals for a husband so we had a few misfires and I was anxious to get things right!! I'm excited to read what you're serving up and what goes down well!! :)

    You're awesome. X

    ReplyDelete