Friday 28 March 2014

A Little Bit of Salad

Salad. Whenever I hear that word, I think of lettuce. BLEUGH.

BUT...a salad can be so much more than lettuce.

On Wednesday the 26th March 2014 I had a lovely luncheon dinner appointment with Sister Ylisaari and Sister Jacob. They had asked a few days before if I could make a salad of some sort as they were turning over a new leaf. Pun intended? Possibly. I always ask the missionaries what they would like to eat and they always say that they don't mind. So considering they asked for salad, I wanted to make it a good one!

I have never been fond of salads. I find them boring and not filling at all. But then I realised if you add different types of vegetables into it, it becomes a whole new world!

For this salad I used some of my favourite vegetables. I had to leave some of the ones out that need preparing (potatoes, baby corn etc) as I did not have time to prepare them.

This meal was made in 10 minutes. Quick, simple and tasty!

Ingredients (to feed 3)
One bunch of spring onions, sliced to whatever thickness you desire.
8 baby tomatoes, cut however you want. (I quartered mine as I still don't like them being too big)
Half a medium sized cucumber, sliced and cut into halves.
One red pepper, sliced into cube shapes.
One orange pepper, sliced into cube shapes.
Half a round lettuce.
Half a pack of cooking bacon (unless you want normal bacon which can then be chopped up)
One standard sized pack of Greek Feta cheese cut into cubes.

Obviously, it's a salad and you can use WHATEVER you want. This was just what I used and what tasted incredible. I actually enjoyed it. Go figure.

Method
Cook the bacon in a pan.
Put everything in a bowl (apart from the lettuce) and mix all together.

It's that simple.




Dinner Appointment Message
So there is quite an entertaining reason why there was no dinner appointment message from this meal. The dinner appointment was originally meant to be on the Tuesday evening but had to be changed, so we decided on Wednesday lunchtime. As we were sitting at the table having just finished lunch I received a text from someone at church saying she was running a bit late. I sat, a little perplexed for a moment and then it dawned on me that I was meant to be Visiting Teaching

Oops

Here I was, 25 minutes away from the house I was meant to be at, already 15 minutes late.

I told the Sisters and they said they would clean everything up (bless them) and I should quickly go!

My memory is shocking. The whole 'situation' wouldn't have been so bad if I had not been the one who arranged the Visiting Teaching appointment! So there you have it. Another insight to Sister Nicki. I am the real life Dory.


Sister Nicki x




No comments:

Post a Comment